Sunday, November 11, 2007

Aye, Aye Captain! (Day two)

You have never seen a sunrise like that in BVI. The open green ocean, endless horizon and a blue sky that matches Elle's eyes. So peaceful and beautiful and so calming. We were off around 8:00 a.m. because it is a four hour sail to the Virgin Gourda (North Sound). We wanted to get there early so we could have a full day to explore. On our way we passed Richard Branson's Island (Necker). He bought it for $250,00 in the 70's or 80's. It was a good buy! It is beatiful and in a great location. I wanted to drop in and say hello, but the crew wouldn't let me.
Once we moored in the North Sound we quickly jumped in the water with our snorkel gear and headed to the nearest reef. We were exploring when we discovered hidden in the sand a sting ray! None of us dared get close (visions of Steve Irwin are still haunting us) so I grabbed a small counch shell and dropped it on the thing--you should have seen it take off. Wow--so cool. I started laughing and about chocked in the salt water. We then discovered some lobsters hidding in a rock so we tried to pull it out but it wouldn't work--I didn't have gloves so I didn't dare just stick my hand back in the rock. I will try to get him tomorrow. Do I see Lobster dinner in my future? I would be such a great survivorman. We then hopped in the Dingey and headed to the Bitter End grocery store so Dad and Jim could stock up on more food. The hits so far have been Wheat Thins and Peanut Butter, Chips and Salsa and Oreo cookies. We tried to go rent some kite boarding equipment but the kite boarding guy was missing in action so we stopped by the dive shop and it just so happened that a dive trip was leaving in an hour. We grabbed our gear and headed to dive! It was the best dive I have ever been on because I saw two sharks. Nurse sharks. Nathan Richins and I were in awe--and a bit panicked. They were both about 7 foot long. We saw some other great marine life, but nothing compared to the sharks. It was down hill from there. We dove with two gentlemen from Sweden. One looked just like Beckham. Hair and all. I know Gale and the girls would have wanted me to get a picture of him, but I thought it a bit wierd to ask if I could get his picture. Sorry girls.....

We got back about four o'clock and ate chips and salsa and just relaxed. It was then off to Saba Rock for dinner.

2 comments:

Bray said...

chloeoWe miss you so much and hope you miss us!!! Have a great time.

Bray said...

Ok it is a good thing I wasn't with you....If I was diving with a David Beckham look-alike hmmmm...not a good thing. Love you.