I have always hated garage sales. Well, I like them when they are over and we have a few hundred extra dollars to blow, but the preparations are the worst. This year I talked Gale into doing it right. We went through the house and got all of the junk out and just piled it into the garage. The night before the sale we took two hours to organize our junk and got it ready to set out. We were ready to go.
I had so much fun at the sale I think we are going to have another one next month. My favorite part is all the stuff that I know for sure is going to bring in big bucks. I watch the buyers peruse and touch all the top end good merchandise just figuring out the max price they will pay for my wares------and then they walk away, go grab the junk and buy it. I was dying laughing by the end. All of the good stuff that had value was left and everything that I considered junk was sold and gone. So what does that tell me about what I value? Maybe it was all junk in the first place!
The Aftermath
Everybody wants a deal and wants to check out what you have lying in your driveway. After the sale was over we piled everything next to the garage and called the Salvation Army to come and pick it all up. They couldn't come for two days so our stuff had to sit in the driveway (neatly piled) for two days. The best part of the whole situation was our neighbors. They had to check out what was left over and one by one they made their way over to get some of the remaining stuff. (Free of course!) No one called the homeowners committee to tell on us for leaving junk in our driveway for two days, wonder if it had anythign to do with the free stuff all of the neighbors came and took. By the time Salvation Army marched on over there was barely anything left!
What did we spend the money on?
Gale and I decided that we would treat ourselves to a nice sushi dinner so we spent $30 on the meal (we never spend that much on date night dinner). As for the rest.....hhhmmm I don't know, Gale probably spent it on groceries etc. I did notice a new phone system in the house so maybe that's where it went. Chloe and Olivia got some new shorts. I did sneak $5 and went to Starbucks for a Venti double chocolate chip cream based shake....only $4.85 what a deal. I think we all came out happy.
The house is going up for sale next Thursday. (If the stars align with the carpet and paint people) and we are going to do another clean out and garage sale before we move. Getting rid of stuff is actually really fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment