Saturday, May 17, 2008

In Awe of my children

In the past two weeks I have been in true awe of my children. It is one thing to admire your children and see them enjoy their life successes and expand their talents, and it is something different all together to watch your children and be in awe of who they are as a person and who they are becoming. (And it having nothing to do with my parenting!)

Olivia was the lead in the school 5th grade play "Oklahoma" (of course, it is our centennial year here in the great tornado state). I watched mesmorized by her talent and sheer radiance. She literally "glowed" (for lack of a better word) on stage. I couldn't keep from watching her, and as I thought about it later it had nothing to do with her being my daughter. Just the fact that she was so good. I left amazed. Chloe's final choir concert was this week. The music teacher had asked her to write a song for the school choir and she did in about a day and a half complete with three verses and harmonies. It was called "Believe". I have heard it around the house the past couple of weeks as Chloe practiced on the piano, but it wasn't until the teacher announced the song and that it was written by one of the 7th graders and Chloe walked to the piano, set up her microphone and she proceeded to start playing the song. When the choir sang and harmonized I was once again blown away, to the point that tears came to my eyes. Here was my child writing music for the 7th grade choir and accompanying them and then singing the last verse as a solo and acting as calm as could be during the entire thing. If I could have only seen when I was engaged and dating Gale the amazing children we would have I don't think I would have believed it.

I have watched Elle closely the last two weeks. On our school lunch date we sat alone and talked and laughed for the entire 1/2 hour. Elle has to have one of the happiest souls there is. She is laughing and cracking jokes the entire day. As she starts to grow I can't wait to watch her other talents and abilities develop. I can't imagine our home without Elle, I feel like I am watching a flower as it gets ready to bloom and I have no idea of the great things that will come from her.

And then there was Ava. Last, but definately not the least. I am amazed at Ava everyday. Little could I realize how big a little 4 year old could be. You don't understand that until you meet Ava. She runs our house, is the mother to her 3 older sisters (actually more of a boss) and has no problem telling everyone what she thinks and plans. This girl is going to take the world by storm. I like to be in awe of my children. I see them in a whole new light when I am.

2 comments:

leslie s said...

I wish we lived closer to you guys so that we could see all the amazing things your girls are doing. They are growing up to be such beautiful young women!

Sunshine said...

Chris,

I laughed so hard my side hurt. I can't wait to see you guys again.

Darin