Sunday, December 2, 2007

A Time and a Season for Everything...

I have had some pretty funny days this past week with pictures that I need to put up, but tonight we put up the Christmas tree, played Christmas music and ate super gooey brownies and ice cream. Does life get better than that? As we sat eating our super gooey brownies I thought it wouldn't matter where in the world I was, whether I was eating them on a dirt floor in Africa or a mansion in the South of France I would be happy just to have super gooey brownies, ice cream and my family. In that order of course.

On the serious side I am realizing more and more as I get older how the Lord brings people, events, experiences into our lives at just the time we need them. The events and experiences for our personal growth and development, and the people around us to help us, love us, build us up and in some way lift us up to continue on the journey of life. I have wondered the past couple of days how much I have been the one to build up, love, and just help carry others burdens for a small time on their own journey. In my pursuit of a new business, Ph.D, University teaching, kids tennis, piano lessons, gymnastics lessons and spending as much time as possible with my family that I have in some way neglected others. I guess the spirit always whispers to us the truth of how we need to change and grow. I want to be the person that builds, strengthens, uplifts, comforts those around me and doesn't ever tear down, discourage, or make others journey that much harder than it already is. In our home we always talk about it being a safe place from the world, where you are always loved and cared for, I guess I need to extend that teaching for myself and my children to bring that same feeling to all they come in contact with. Gale, is already there so I am leaving her out of this!

I look in the eyes of my children, and certain people around me and it is clearly evident those who have charity--the pure love of Christ. It is not only in their actions, but it radiates in their face and in their countenance. If you really look you can just see those who have earned this amazing heavenly gift. This new year I begin my own journey to obtain this gift. As I looked over pictures tonight I had to put in a few...I just look in their eyes and see it....nothing that has to do with beauty, but instead a love for all people no matter what type of individual and their weakness and failings! You really see it in most children. Maybe that is why the Lord loved them so much.
Ten years ago I found a picture of a family in Africa. The man had previously been a top television producer in LA living the "fast, Hollywood" life. His two daughters left California to go work for a year in Africa helping the poor and taking care of orphaned children. As he saw his daughters change he quit his job and the family took up residence in Africa. The picture I have of the family is outside of a grass hut wearing simple clothing, (no namebrands!) but what brought tears to my eyes was their faces. I saw charity. So I took the picture and have put it in my journal and carried it with me. In fact, I will carry it with me til I can't carry it anymore! One of my prized possessions. The face of charity. I recently made a new friend who is biking his way around the world. I saw his picture and it immediately reminded me of the family in Africa. It is something that can't be bought, made in a bottle...instead is earned through hardship, struggle, caring for others and understanding the value of each individual human life.
I had to put in some pictures of those around me who exemplify charity, all my sweet girls and wife, My old stake president and home teaching companion, and a former bishop. (There are others of you....but I just don't have your pictures!)






2 comments:

Bray said...

You give so much to me without ever asking for something in return. I am grateful to be on this journey together. I hope to one day look in the mirror know that I love others as much as my family and self, thanks for being my partner in this process.

Gale

Melissa said...

Well put Chris. I loved reading your latest posts. You have a great way of looking at things.